Elstow - Old pictures
A few miscellaneous images
The Abbey Church
Bunyan's Cottage - John lived for the first five years of his first marriage in this cottage on the north-west side of Elstow High Street.
He moved to St Cuthbert's Street in Bedford after the birth of his first child, Mary, and the death of his wife.
Sadly, the Elstow cottage was demolished in the 1960s by the Department of Transport.
Church End. This terrace of old cottages was burned down one bonfire night, when a rocket set off from the next-door vicarage, landed in the thatch of one of the cottages.
Elstow Garage. This was situated on the south-western end of High Street, near the brook. It was last run by the Carding family.
The village smithy use to be adjacent (south-west of) Carding's house.
The 'jetty' on High Street
Lacemakers and other Elstow people and events
Thomas Hillersden's mansion. Thomas 3rd left £100 for his wife to build a mansion, using existing walls of the Abbey's former cloisters. It was named "Elstow Place"
Moot Hall - exterior
Moot Hall - interior
Moot Hall - Restoration in 1950